Boys Volleyball defeats rival Eagles on Senior Night

The Mountain View High School Boys Volleyball Team defeated crosstown rival Los Altos High School in a thrilling five game match on Senior Night, April 27th.

After taking a commanding lead 2-0, the Spartans allowed the Eagles to win the following two games, but took care of business in the fifth game winning 15-10.

As if Senior Night did not provide enough emotion, the Spartans were facing their former coach who made the jump to Los Altos this year.

“[Beating Los Altos on Senior Night] is what any [MVHS] varsity player would want, basically ending your career on a win against your rival. I’m just really happy that my team stepped up tonight,” captain and four year varsity player Colton Stearns said.

The Spartans got out to a very quick start, winning the first game 25-15.

In the second set, the Spartans’ momentum waned as Los Altos came out swinging. The second set was back and forth, with each side exchanging spike for spike in many long rallies. Stearns then delivered a spike which was blocked and then bounced off the back of his head for a point. The Spartans ended up winning this set 26-24.

Between the second and third sets, both Junior Varsity and Varsity teams did a chant together to maintain their energy and adrenaline. However, they lost the third set 25-20 and the fourth set 25-21.

During these games the Spartans kept up with the Eagles and the play was competitive, but they were plagued by simple mistakes–bad passes, miscommunications, and poor serves– This gave Los Altos an opportunity to come back.

Going into the fifth set, Los Altos had all the energy and the Spartans seemed tired and deflated. They were able to regain their stride to win the decisive fifth set.

“Every time you lose a game, when you go into the next one, you have to have a new mentality and say, ‘We’re going to come out and get this one. It doesn’t matter what happened in the past,” Stearns said. “They’re a good team so just take it to them and do our best. When the pressure was on, all my teammates stepped up. There is nothing I could ask for more.”

Senior Danny Holton was on of the many Sixth Man Club members in attendance.

“It’s definitely a bitter rivalry [with Los Altos] and it’s so emotional when you play them,” Holton said. “For them to come back and finish it off, it was really fun as a fan… It was a crazy atmosphere.”

“I think the energy and the hype [from Sixth Man Club] gave the them a little bit of a boost to beat the rival Eagles on senior night,” Holton said.

In addition to the emotional victory, this was essentially a must win game as the Spartans look to qualify for the upcoming CCS playoffs.