Spartan Spotlight: Swimmer Lexi Rudolph

Processed with VSCO with g3 preset

Rudolph has been swimming since she was four years old and since then has advanced to the highest level in Palo Alto Stanford Aquatics.

Now that she has reached this level, Rudolph said she participates in meets that have no age range, meaning that she competes against both more experienced swimmers such as Olympians and college athletes, as well as younger swimmers.

Rudolph said that some of her favorite memories in swimming include getting close to her PASA teammates, although she admits that she cannot just choose one best moment over her many years.

Rudolph said she swims six to seven days a week for at least two hours per day. She also plays water polo, which she said is a fun sport for her and a chance to catch a break from swimming practices.

“I just don’t want to get burned out,” Rudolph said. “I don’t want to swim so much to the point where I hate it, where I’m constantly dreading going to practice.”

RUDOLPH: competes on a national level and plans to swim after high school.

Rudolph’s coach, Rafael Alapont, has been a swim coach for over 30 years and has coached Rudolph since her freshman year. He said that she is so successful because of her attitude and work ethic, as she swims with both her club and at school.

Starting in September, Rudolph has begun being recruited to multiple colleges, including Cornell, Brown, and John Hopkins, as well as the Navy, although she says she has not made any decisions yet regarding this.

“I’m still trying to keep my options open,” Rudolph said. “I don’t really want to commit yet especially since I still think I can get better and get myself to a higher level before having to commit.”

Rudolph said she was very pleased, but surprised, when she began being contacted and found out that schools were interested in her potential, especially when division one schools.

However, Alapont said that he was not surprised when many elite schools began to contact Rudolph.

“She’s one of our top swimmers, if not the top swimmer… her body is built to be an Olympian,” Alapont said.

Rudolph said she plans to continue swimming through college, if not longer. Alapont hopes that she will continue to be herself.

“Her leadership skills will get her any job that she wants,” Alapont said.