Weeklong Battle of the Classes game events end in senior class triumph

Sidney Rochnik, Co-Editor in Chief

Students from all grades flooded the field, eager to either battle for their class, cheer on friends, or simply enjoy the daily games offered by ASB every day during the Battle of the Classes spirit week.

The event ran from March 28 to April 1, ending in the class of 2022, seniors, winning with 205 points. The juniors followed up with 165 points, the sophomores with 160, and the freshman with 155. Points were won during the daily lunchtime games, kickball, spikeball, Capture the Flag, and Friday’s night rally.

The events coincided with the spirit week’s dress-up prompts. This led to kickball players in formal suits and spikeball opponents standing out in their country club or country attire.

Junior and ASB rally and spirit committee member Brent Bennion, who participated in the games as an announcer and player, said that the events were very successful, due to its high participation. 

In Friday’s lunch time event, Capture the Flag, which had seniors versus juniors and freshman versus sophomores, was so popular among students that almost no one was able to score between the two games.The number of students, seeming to be around 70 students per class, made defense so strong on each team that it was almost impossible to break through. Both games ended in a stalemate, so all classes were given 10 points as a result.

The same happened with the kickball games that ended up tied, leading to an even score leading into the night rally. Bennion said this ended up working great for the tension of the event, making the last night really seem like the deciding factor for each class’s standings.

“Everything was worth more [points] because we wanted the night rally to be the grand finale,” Bennion said.

The rally, featuring the final ‘battle’ and some food trucks, let students earn points through musical chairs, donut-on-a-string eating, a “dizzy rally,” and sumo wrestling, which had students donning inflatable sumo suits.

“It was not easy [planning] with COVID and the pandemic… we had to plan this far in advance, and it was tough, with rules changing. We didn’t even know if we could have the rally inside,” Bennion said. “However, it all worked out, and we were able to really pull together an entire week of events that was as good as any other year or better.”