Boys volleyball takes home victory over Homestead 3-0

The boys varsity volleyball team defeated Homestead High School 3-0 on Wed., March 13. The win improved the Spartan’s record in the league to 1-3 and has put the team in fifth place.

“I think a lot of people played with confidence today,” coach Katie Johnson said. “We’ve been having a little bit of a hard time with team chemistry and tonight, it looked like it gelled. The boys played like a team.”

The Spartans started off strong, winning the first set 25-21, and their momentum carried them through the game. They led through the vast majority of the game, with the exception of the third set, in which they overcame a brief deficit to ultimately claim victory 25-20.

Johnson said their setters junior Evan Madsen and senior Lyric Manson put in star performances, and described their role as “the quarterbacks of volleyball.” Senior middle Zach Peterson heavily contributed, according to Johnson, as he was able to block Homestead hitters and attack with an array of spikes.

“Zach just has monster blocks and monster hits like in and out every game,” senior outside hitter Cole Palmbush said.

One of the most notable additions to this year’s team is freshman outside hitter Keefer Chao. Despite his younger age, he was an integral part of the team, and had multiple defensive picks, blocking hits, and spikes throughout the game.

“I think he’s played in every single match … so far,” Johnson said. “Every single point… because he’s just really good.”

However, Chao was unable to finish the game, after he was hit in the face by a blocked shot, resulting in a nosebleed midway through the second set. Chao was immediately taken off, and replaced by senior Nick Galles. Chao later rejoined the team, but cheered from the sidelines. 

Despite their decisive victory, Mountain View’s season has been off to a somewhat rocky start. Johnson described their preseason campaign as “really tough,” but is optimistic about where their season can go from here. She identified team chemistry issues as factors causing their slow start, but said this game is an example of their improvements.

“When we show up in a game like this against last year’s league champions, and we win in three, it shows me that we’re getting to a place where the team chemistry is finally working itself out,” Johnson said.