Oracle’s Week Reviews: Sept. 6 – Sept. 11

Oracle’s Week Reviews: Sept. 6 - Sept. 11

After four months, MVHS athletics are back in full effect. MVHS won five out of the nine games recorded this week, bringing the yearly record this year as fifteen wins and nine losses.

Tuesday, Sept. 7

V/JV Girls Volleyball v. Pioneer

The varsity girls volleyball team played an at-home game against Pioneer, winning with a perfect 3 – 0 score overall. MVHS won the first set with 25 – 11, the second 25 – 14, and the third 25 – 18. So far, the team is undefeated with a record of 4 – 0 on the season.

The junior varsity girls volleyball team played an at-home game against Pioneer, taking a flawless win of 2 – 0. MVHS won the first set 25 – 9 and the second 25 – 12. After this game, their record rose to 4 – 0 on the year.

V Boys Water Polo v. Gunn

The varsity boys water polo team faced off against Gunn in an at-home game. Despite their efforts, MVHS lost with a crushing 7 – 20 score. Because of this, the team is tainted with a 0 – 1 record on the year.

V Girls Water Polo v. Gunn

The varsity girls water polo team played a home game against Gunn. In this one-sided match, MVHS was swept off their feet with a loss of 4 – 16. As a result, their seasonal record stands as 0 – 1.

Thursday, Sept. 9

V/JV Girls Volleyball @ Los Gatos

The varsity girls volleyball team played an away game against Los Gatos, barely losing with a 2 – 3 overall score. MVHS started strong in the first set, winning 64 – 26. In the second and third sets, however, MVHS quickly lost their momentum. MVHS lost the second set with a 18 – 25 score, and the third with a 16 – 25 score. While MVHS made a comeback in the fourth set with a winning score of 25 – 23, the 2 – 2 tie was broken after Los Gatos won the fifth set 5 – 15. Their record is now 4 – 0 on the year.

The Junior Varsity Girls Volleyball team played an away game against Los Gatos. Unlike the varsity team, the junior varsity team secured a win with a 2 – 1 score. Their record is now 4 – 0 on the year.

V Boys Water Polo @ Harker

The varsity boys water polo team played an away game against Harker. MVHS suffered a crushing defeat despite their efforts, losing with a 7 – 20 score. Their record is now 0 – 2 on the year.

V Girls Water Polo @ Harker

The varsity girls water polo team played against Harker in a heated away game. In the end, MVHS lost with a 10 – 17 score, leaving them with a tarnished 0 – 2 seasonal record.

Friday, Sept. 10

V/JV Football @ Los Altos

The varsity football team played an away game against LAHS. This game proved to be a statement win for the Spartans, as MVHS steamrolled LAHS 42 – 7. Sophomore Dillon Daniels was stellar this game as he notched four touchdowns.

Courtesy of 6th Man Club

“The best play of the game by far was Tommy [Conaway] hitting that sack on the quarterback like an absolute beast,” defensive tackle Enrique Guevara said. 

The junior varsity football team played an away game against LAHS. The game started off hot, as MVHS scored two touchdowns in the first quarter and one in the second. This was the only score for MVHS, as the second half was a complete stalemate. The final score turned out to be a win for the Spartans as they cruised over the Eagles 21 – 6. 

Saturday, Sept. 11

V Boys Cross Country @ Golden Gate Park

The boys varsity cross country team competed at the Lowell Invite against various other schools at Golden State Park. In the end, MVHS placed third overall out of 26 others with an average pace of 5:19 over 2.82 miles. Also, Emmanuel Leblond finished second overall in the race individually.

Courtesy of Craig Blockhus, Head Coach of MVHS Cross Country

V Girls Cross Country @ Golden Gate Park

The girls varsity cross country team competed at the Lowell Invite against various other schools at Golden State Park. In the end, MVHS placed fifth out of 20 overall, with an average pace of 6:35 over 2.82 miles. 

Courtesy of Blockhus