MVHS varsity football plays against Mitty in second match of the season

The game was stuck in a constant state of gridlock, as both sides contested for control of the game. As each made impressive plays to dominate one another, neither seemed to let up.

Despite all efforts, MVHS suffered a close loss against Mitty, ending with a score of 34 – 35 on Sept. 4. 

The Spartans had a relatively slow start in the first quarter. While the Spartans made impressive plays, the Monarchs took the lead with a 7 – 14 score.

“I feel like we definitely could have played better [in the first quarter],” varsity football player Calvin Conaway said. “We had no energy and generally could have done our jobs better.”

In the second quarter, the Spartans initially caught up with a touchdown and field goal on the first down. But since the Spartans were still slightly suffering from a slow start, the Monarchs took the lead with another touchdown and field goal, ending the quarter with a score of 14 – 21.

The only difference between a good team and a great team is that a great team plays all quarters and a good one plays a half

The Spartans made a stunning comeback post-halftime in the third quarter. After a tedious struggle to take control of the game, the Spartans ended the quarter with a score of 28 – 21, taking the lead for the first time in the match.

“Coming back from halftime, we had much greater intensity than before,” Conaway said. “From this, we took possession of the ball and scored a touchdown to take control of the game.”

The fourth quarter was another back-and-forth stalemate between Monarchs and Spartans. Despite the Spartans initially taking the lead in the third quarter, the Monarchs ultimately won the game. The game was so close that the tiebreaker was decided by a field goal that failed to connect.

“We were close, but we lost because we failed to bring intensity in the first quarter,” Conaway said. “It’s as coach always says: ‘the only difference between a good team and a great team is that a great team plays all quarters, and a good one plays half.’”