Movies to watch this Christmas

Here is a list of 10 classic Christmas movies you need to watch this season!

“Fir Crazy” (2013)

A fun, light romantic comedy that follows a young woman, Elise, who dreads the holiday season and is forced to run her family’s Christmas tree lot when she loses her job and her father breaks his leg. Late on her very first day, Elise struggles to find joy in the family trade and half-heartedly sells Christmas trees to customers. She begins to fall in love with a returning customer, Darren Foster, but must also save the family business from going broke. Overwhelmed by the holiday season, Elise must balance her relationship with Darren and her responsibility of saving her family’s Christmas tree lot.

“A Royal Christmas” (2014)

This romance film stars Lacey Chabert who plays Emily, the only daughter of an expert tailor in Philadelphia. She’s proud of her simple lifestyle, and is madly in love with Leo, her European boyfriend. Unexpectedly, Emily finds out that Leo is actually the Prince of Cordinia, a fictional country in Europe, and is in line to inherit the kingdom’s throne. Queen Isadora, Leo’s mother, disapproves of his relationship with a working-class woman and treats Emily like one of her butlers or housemaids. In an entirely new environment, Emily struggles to adapt to the royal family lifestyle, stay true to herself, and keep her relationship with Prince Leopold afloat.

“The Mistletoe Promise” (2016)

A hallmark masterpiece, based on the bestselling novel by Richard Paul Evans, a renowned writer for Christmas and holiday themed works, “The Mistletoe Promise” tells the story of a workaholic divorce lawyer, Nick, and a recent divorcee, Elise, neither of which enjoy Christmas or the holiday season. To avoid handling their holiday complications alone, Elise and Nick make a pact to get through December together by pretending to be a couple. Even though the promise was initially intended to be strictly business, the two Christmas-haters soon realize that while their marriage is phony, their relationship is not.

“The Christmas Train” (2017)

Based on the novel by David Baldacci, “The Christmas Train” stars Dermot Mulroney who plays Tom Langdon, a cynical journalist who boards a train from Washington D.C. to Los Angeles in hopes of finding inspiration for a story. While travelling west, he encounters a variety of fellow passengers who help him develop a newfound outlook on life, love, and the holidays before arriving in Los Angeles.

“Moonlight & Mistletoe” (2008)

This hallmark drama takes place in Chester, Vermont. The tiny town’s year-round Santaville attraction is losing its appeal, and owner Nick Crosby is desperate to prevent it from being torn down for the city to construct a strip mall. He struggles to pay rent, and hopes for a Christmas miracle that will solve his financial crisis. When Nick’s daughter, Holly returns home, she looks for ways to save her father’s business despite her lack of holiday spirit. She recruits Peter, a shy employee of Santaville, to help in her quest to save Nick’s dying Christmas attraction.

“A Christmas Carol” (2009)

Based on the award-winning novel by Charles Dickens and set in mid-1800s London, “A Christmas Carol” stars Jim Carrey who plays an old, miserable man named Ebenezer Scrooge. He believes that everything relating to Christmas is utter nonsense, and despises the holiday season. One year, Scrooge meets the ghost of his old business partner who informs him that he will meet with three spirits throughout the night, each of which will take him on a journey in hopes of extinguishing his bitterness towards the holidays.

“The Polar Express” (2004)

“The Polar Express” stars A-lister Tom Hanks and Daryl Sabara on a thrilling Christmas adventure. Hero Boy, a doubting young boy who dismisses any Christmas spirit, is surprised by a locomotive heading to the North Pole. He climbs aboard and is taken on an extraordinary journey of self-discovery. While on the “Polar Express”, he begins to question his doubts of Santa Claus’ existence.

“Elf” (2003)

As a baby, a human named Buddy (Will Ferrell) was accidentally transported to the North Pole and was raised as one of Santa’s elves. Feeling like a giant (literally) outcast among the elves, Buddy travels to New York in search of his real father, and discovers his father is a man named Walter Hobbs. Buddy and Hobbs struggle to get along, but nonetheless attempt to reunite as father and son.  

“Home Alone” (1990)

One of the most famous holiday-themed movies of all time, “Home Alone” stars Macaulay Culkin as Kevin McCallister, a rambunctious 8-year-old boy who is sent to sleep in the attic the night before his extended family takes a trip to Paris. The next morning, caught up in the chaos of traveling, Kevin’s family forgets to bring him along. Alone at home during Christmas, Kevin devises a series of traps to fend off a pair of con men who attempt to rob his home.

“Love Actually” (2003)

In this romance and drama film, “Love Actually” weaves several different storylines together, each of which examine the complexity of love. With some people falling in love, some breaking up, some dealing with hardships, and some desperately lonely, this is the story of 9 people in London who experience the beginnings and ends of love during the holiday season.