Varsity boys basketball wraps up successful season

Winning Record? Check. League Championship? Check. California Coast Section Championship? Check. The MVHS Varsity boys basketball team lived up to the hype this season. Led by the captains Eugene Liao, Matthew McTighe, and Tommy Resnick, the team finished with a 10-2 league record and a 22-6 overall record.

Jivan Gubbi, a senior on the basketball team, attributes the success of the team to their year round hard work.

“We won the championship because we put in the work that was necessary. We spent our summer in the weight room and our season working hard so that we would be in a situation to be playing for a CCS championship,” Gubbi said.

In addition to the hard work and time put into the basketball season, Gubbi said that the team had great chemistry which made playing a lot easier.

“We are a pretty close group. A lot have us have been playing together since elementary and middle school, so it has come pretty naturally,” Gubbi said.

The team’s goal from the beginning of the season was to win the CCS championship. They began to really believe it when they beat Saratoga High School in an away game in order to clinch the league championship and secure a high seed in the CCS playoffs.  

“Winning the CCS championship for Mountain View is a moment I will never forget,” Gubbi said.