“Out With a Bang”: MVHS DI places first at State Tournament

Mountain View High School’s Destination Imagination (DI) team “Out With a Bang” placed first in Challenge B at the California Tournament, which took place in Riverside on March 28.

The team scored first place in both their main and instant challenges. According to MVHS senior and team member Tatum Millet, they had “one of the highest scored [instant challenges] of all time, scoring 99.8 out of 100 points and beating the second place team by almost 20 points.”

[singlepic id=1139 w=480 h=360 float=]

Millet also discussed the group’s outstanding teamwork abilities. “When a major aspect of the solution broke at the last minute, instead of freaking out, we scrambled around and built something that worked.

Although they qualified, the team will not be attending Global Finals due to conflicts. This was also the team’s final year participating in Destination Imagination.

“I will miss doing DI because it’s a chance to do really cool things,” Millet said. “I wouldn’t be able to write as well, build as well, paint as well, or think as well if I hadn’t done DI. DI teaches you to think outside the box. It teaches you that the first idea probably isn’t the best and the weird idea might just work.”

The video below is a clip from their performance at the tournament: