Spartans defeat Chargers 68-38

The varsity girls basketball team won their fourth consecutive game on Jan. 26, playing a home game against Wilcox High School, the Chargers, with a score of 68-38. 

The Chargers took an early lead with a two pointer, and after some point trading, the score reached 4-1 in the Chargers’ favor. The Spartans quickly remedied this, and raised the score to 7-4 in their favor, and ended the first quarter with a score of 11-7 in their favor.

After trading off some points in the beginning of the second set, including some free throws for the Spartans, they maintained a lead of 13-7. 

The Chargers fought back, however, and the crowd went wild as the Chargers scored an impressive three pointer to equalize the score at 13-13, roughly halfway through the quarter. 

The Spartans soon scored two free throws, and maintained their lead to close the first half with a score of 27-17. It was at this point that many parents on Wilcox’s side of the bleachers left, while the remaining audience members watched MVHS’s cheerleaders and the Spartan Jr. Cheerleaders perform a routine.  

“I think we could have started off stronger than how we did because it was kind of close in the beginning, but I think after the halftime talk with our coaches, and picking up the energy on the bench, I think we started out really strong in the second half,” Point Guard junior Jillian Higa said. 

In the third quarter, the Spartans shut out the Chargers and scored 18 points, ending the third quarter with a lead of 45-17. 

“My favorite moment of the game is definitely the fourth quarter,” Higa said. “The bench was hyped, everyone was up, and everyone was going crazy for those who were in, and even if they didn’t get a shot off, we were still cheering them on, making sure they knew they did a great job.”

While the Chargers were able to score some points in the fourth quarter, the Spartans continued their solid teamwork to win the game 68-38.  

“Shoutout to Alana Hernandez who got all those threes, she’s going crazy, and then Mikayla with all those free throws and knocking them down, which really helped,” Higa said. “Overall, everyone just had great passing and defense.”