Spartans victorious over Bruins 55-50

The girls basketball team continued their success this season by taking home their third league victory with a win against the Santa Clara Bruins on Wednesday night, putting them first place in the El Camino League.

“Right now, we’re undefeated [in the league] going for League champs so just making sure we keep that streak up,” junior point guard Jillian Higa said.

In the first quarter, the Spartans defense was on full display, with multiple steals from senior combo guard Liz Cardenas and Higa, which helped the team finish with a 14-12 lead over the Bruins.

“I think we did a really good job pressuring them [on defense],” junior Ellie Westgate said. “We’ve been struggling a little bit in the past keeping up that pressure.” 

Both teams’ offenses came out strong, with the scoreboard going back and forth in the second quarter. With the score tied at 26-26 and with 30 seconds left before halftime, the Spartans took the lead with a three pointer from Cardenas and three free throws from senior guard Mikayla Kim on a shot foul, putting the Spartans up 32-26.

David Henri

Higa said that going into the second half, the team locked in and trusted what the coaches scouted for them in their game plan. 

“I think overall, the pep talks our coaches give us fires us up and the support on events that we get just makes us get more energy,” Higa said

While the third quarter showed promise for the Bruins, who got three consecutive turnovers, their offense failed to gain any momentum. Which allowed the Spartans to maintain their lead by five points, and finish the third quarter with a lead of 43-38.

Westgate said the team’s focus on offense was one of the biggest factors in securing the win against the Bruins. She also credited Higa for coming out relentlessly with offensive rebounds. 

The Spartans offense stayed consistent, keeping their five point lead, with help from back to back three pointers by senior forward Hanna Olson and Higa. The Spartans secured the close victory, winning 55-50 at home.