Girls Soccer takes down rival Los Altos 3-2 in Senior Night win

Photo courtesy of Jeff Panos

Ciara Ross, Staff Writer

The girls varsity soccer team won against rival Los Altos High, 3-2, on Wednesday. The game was also the team’s Senior Night.
Before the game started, the Mountain View team held a ceremony to celebrate the senior class players and honor their last year on the team. The stands were decorated with black and gold streamers, and posters dedicated to each senior class athlete.
When the game kicked off, the Spartans immediately took the lead. Junior Karena Shah scored the first goal within the first 10 minutes. The Eagles pushed back hard, but the Spartans remained strong on defense.

With only five minutes left in the first half, the Eagles broke through the Spartans’ defense and scored a goal that equalized the score. Los Altos increased their aggressiveness after their goal, but Mountain View countered their attacks. Sophomore Laila Edris forced her way through the defense and scored with three minutes left, sending the Spartans into halftime up 2-1.

Photo courtesy of Jeff Panos

“We just wanted to … bring a lot of energy and press their backline,” senior and Captain Kate Stone said.

The scoring slowed in the second half until Mountain View was fouled in Los Altos’s box, resulting in a penalty kick with thirteen minutes on the clock. Edris stepped up to take the shot, and swiftly kicked it in the net, bringing the score up to 3-1.

The rest of the game saw many fouls and free kicks, for both the Spartans and Eagles. This led to another penalty kick, this time for Los Altos. Los Altos scored, bringing the score to 3-2.

For the last three minutes of the game, Los Altos pushed harder in an effort to tie the score, but Mountain View resisted and when the final whistle was called, Mountain View ended with a win.

“We had a lot of success by just having a really high intensity,” Stone added.

The girls have high goals for the future, including winning the League title and going on to CCS, said Stone.
“With this game, it looks like we have a really good chance of that.” Stone said.