Meet the music man: Angel Sanchez DJs school hallways

Natalie Arbatman, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Whether you listen to his music in the halls or plug your ears, you’ve probably heard junior Angel David Sanchez, or more accurately, music booming from his JBL speaker, in the hallways. 

“Some people hate it and sometimes [it’s] kind of weird, but I think it’s kind of funny,” Sanchez said. “I just ignore it. I had a lot of things that affect me in life so I’m not gonna let that affect me.”

Sanchez said playing music out loud allows him to express his mood and emotions.

“When I feel sad, I’ll put on sad, depressing music. If I feel happy, then I just put on some really happy music. If I get mad, I just don’t play any music,” Sanchez said. “Whatever I hear is the way I feel.”

Not everyone appreciates Sanchez’s music, but Sanchez said the negative reactions do not discourage him because he’s seen more good than bad reactions. He said people often come up to him in the halls with music requests, and he’s even made friends from his speaker adventures. 

“They come up randomly and they just end up being my friend, and that kind of helped me a lot too because I was a lonely kid,” Sanchez said. 

Whatever I hear is the way I feel

— Angel David Sanchez

Sanchez first began playing music on his loudspeaker in the halls in his freshman year, to express himself through music. He comes from a musical family; his dad is an avid karaoke singer and his mother was a Spanish music singer. 

“My mom was emo for a while so I got into [Rock],” Sanchez said. 

Sanchez’s favorite musical artist is Tupac, who he was also introduced to by his mom. He credits his mom for inspiring his love for music. 

When he’s not blasting music from his speaker, Sanchez enjoys playing his favorite instrument, the accordion, learning the piano from his sister,  and making art. 

“I got into the accordion when I saw a video of a person playing it. I found that really fascinating,” Sanchez said. Later, he found one at a yard sale and decided to buy it and teach himself how to play. 

In the future, Sanchez said he might pursue being a DJ, but for now he will continue to make the campus just a little bit brighter with his music.