Boys basketball victorious over Leigh

The varsity boys basketball team stepped onto the court on Tuesday evening to face Leigh High School. A sea of black greeted them from the student section of the bleachers, all of them cheering fiercely for the Spartans. 

The 6th Man Club, which promotes school spirit by encouraging students to attend sports events, made the student turnout larger than usual at this home game, the majority of them following the black-out theme. 

Seniors Ryan Davenport, Joey Peir, Patrick Kane, Jack Pillsbury, and Joe Brown made up the school’s starting lineup. Davenport played point guard, Peir was shooting guard, Kane was power forward, Pillsbury was center, and Brown played small forward.

The game started out with Lehigh in the lead, ending the first quarter with a score of 8-15. MVHS continued into the second quarter trailing close behind their opponent, almost tying them with 3:51 left in the first half when MVHS scored. This brought the score to 14-15. 

Heading into half time, MVHS was still behind with the score resting at 16-19. 

The MVHS players filed back into the gym after half time, greeted by cheers of encouragement from the crowd. MVHS started the second half off strong, soon tying the score and then maintaining the lead for the rest of the game. 

With 1:30 left in the third quarter, MVHS was winning 30-22. At the end of the third quarter, the score was 33-27 in favor of MVHS.

With Peir making two three-pointers, the first with 5:14 left in the game and the second with 3:12 left, the score was up to 45-32. 

In the last 10 seconds before the buzzer went off, senior Justin Doctorow made the last basket for an MVHS victory.