Dance Spectrum honors alumnus at annual show

The lights slowly rose on the silhouettes of a few dancers. As more than 900 pairs of eyes turned toward the stage, the 2013 Dance Spectrum Show began.

Performing on Thursday May 2, and Friday May 3, Mountain View High School’s four periods of dance, collectively termed Dance Spectrum, displayed their year’s work, themed “Dancing through the Ages,” to audience members at Foothill College’s Smithwick Theatre. The classes began preparing and putting together pieces since the beginning of the year.

This year’s show featured a tribute piece as well as an award in honor of the late Tyler Collins, an MVHS and Dance Spectrum alumnus who passed away in February.

“Every time I watched the piece for Tyler Collins during rehearsals, I got chills. The dancers were amazing, the choreography was amazing, and the whole effect of the piece was amazing,” said senior Diana Gong, who has been on Dance Spectrum for three years.

The Tyler Collins award was presented to senior Adam Yeh, who has performed in the show since his freshman year, at the awards ceremony following the Friday performance.

“Winning the award was really meaningful to me. Tyler Collins was always a great friend and dancer, and I really appreciate Tyler’s family and Ms. Rosburg for choosing me for the scholarship. If anything it sets in stone my ambition to never stop dancing or improving,” Yeh said.

Following the show, dancers were able to meet the friends, family, and audience members who came to support them.

“I felt incredibly happy because I can’t help but be blissfully content when I’m with Dance Spectrum!” Gong said.

[fb-share]

[tweetbutton]

$2475
$7800

$2475
$7800

• N

Naib MianMay 20, 2013 at 12:53 am

Thanks for the correction!

• C

Claudia E. CruzMay 12, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Thanks for this article Naib. Just a small correction: The Flint Center is at De Anza College not Foothill. http://www.flintcenter.com/