Girls water polo narrowly loses final home game to Los Altos after double-overtime nail-biter

After a slow start to the first half, the MVHS girls water polo team was unable to carry out a win in the double-overtime thriller in their final home game of the season. 

Despite their efforts, MVHS’s excessive turnovers resulted in them losing 7-8 after two close overtime periods.

The game got off to a slow start, as the only point scored in the first quarter was by Ana Nardelli of MVHS. Nardelli would go on to dominate the rest of the game, finishing with three goals total. After some continuous back-and-forth, Los Altos’ cold streak finally ended, as they tied it up 1-1 going into halftime.

As this was the last home game for the team, the departing seniors will finish their final season for MVHS. Many heartfelt speeches were made at halftime, as players were praised and congratulated for their commitment to the program and celebrated their last season. 

“There are players we are going to miss dearly,” Coach Rafael Alapont said. “Annie, Ana, Kristiana, Makena—they’ve been the leaders of our team.” 

After the moving speeches, MVHS got their offense going in the third quarter. Their first goal was scored by Nardelli, pushing MVHS to take a 2-1 lead. With 40 seconds left, Los Altos scored to tie it back up. After a missed shot attempt only 30 seconds later, Annie Eggleton scored to take the 3-2 lead.

The first overtime period was uneventful, with shots taken but nothing made. This resulted in a second overtime, which was much more memorable.

With 2:04 left on the clock, a shot taken by Los Altos went in, bringing the score to 6-7. Still, MV was able to score with 50 seconds left, tying the game up at 7. Through their efforts to stay in the game, MVHS lost by a shot scored with 2 seconds left. 

We’ve never really been in one of those situations before so it was a lot of stress. That was honestly one of the best games we’ve played all season. Even in the past four years, that was one of the best games we’ve ever played.

Annie Eggleton

It was clear the excitement got to MV, as the nervousness of the last home game affected their play. 

“I think we have to build up our confidence because I think people were scared by the end, especially all that stress,” claimed Nardelli.

Even though the distractions affected them, MV was able to keep a close game against Los Altos despite the loss. They also had multiple sentimental moments as they wished their leaving seniors goodbye. 

“It was really special. We had such an amazing crowd,” Eggleton said. “Everyone was super hyped.”