District representatives discuss homework free weekends and future mental health support

Gavin Lin

As the school approaches the end of the first quarter, discussions regarding changes surrounding homework have circulated throughout board meetings of important district representatives. 

On Sept. 13, MVLA’s Board of Trustees moved to revise previous rules about homework, especially regarding mental health.

The Board’s original intent was to put three homework-free weekends in place throughout the year, one for Homecoming weekend, Memorial day weekend, and March’s quarter break. 

MVHS teacher David Campbell spoke at the board meeting to bring to light certain issues with regards to the mental health of students. Instead of advocating for less homework on three occasions, he focuses primarily on the stress that taking too many AP classes can put on students. 

Students work on homework assignments during tutorial

“If we truly want to make a change, we need to limit the number of AP classes our students take,” Campbell said. 

Campbell conducted a survey, which garnered over 200 responses, about sentiments regarding MVHS’s mental health support. The survey was answered from a variety of teachers, school psychologists, and seniors. 

Through the responses given, Campbell created a case for a revision of mental health support in the school. 

“The unfortunate reality of MVHS mental health support is that it’s fundamentally crisis response based instead of preventative,” Campbell said.

Due to recent calendar changes, MVHS and LAHS schedules were unaligned during homecoming weekend. Should homecoming weekend have been homework free, MVHS would have 4 days of homework-free weekend while LAHS would only have 2 days.

In light of this, the board moved to remove the homework free-weekend on homecoming weekend, and promised to resume discussion of academic mental health issues in future meetings.

“Just because a student’s transcript shows all A’s doesn’t mean the student is ok, safe and healthy,” Campbell said.