Performing arts come together for the first time and raise over 4,200 dollars for Pediatric Trauma Program at concert

Pediatric trauma is the leading cause of death for children in America. Consisting of life-threatening injuries, it causes more deaths than all other causes combined, including homicide and suicide, according to Maddie Cheng.

Recognizing the importance of this issue, Cheng, the president of the Mountain View Key Club, along with much help from the performing arts teachers and several volunteers in the club, organized and held a concert to raise money for the Pediatric Trauma Program on Friday, Jan. 24. For the first time, all of the performing arts, including band, orchestra, Dance Spectrum, choir, and theatre came together in a single performance.

Each group had its own featured performances before all departments combined for the final piece Kia Hora, a Maori song written by Christopher Tin. While band, orchestra, and choir performed the song, Dance Spectrum danced with choreography inspired by the lyrics, and members of theatre recited a speech in Maori midway through.

Key Club volunteers collected over 4,200 dollars for the Pediatric Trauma Program during a concert featuring all of the Performing arts departments. Photo by Carly Heltzel.

“When I first had this idea, I could have never imagined it would turn out to be something so big,” Cheng said at the beginning of the concert.

Admission was free, so the event relied entirely on donations from the staff and students who attended the concert. 

Freshman and Key Club member Sami Frehner says that based on the amount of people who donated and attended the concert, they likely raised a lot of money for the cause.

After an hour of performances and great attendance, volunteers collected over 4,200 dollars in donations to fund the PTP. Other volunteer events throughout the year have contributed to this cause as it is marked as extremely important by Key Club. 

Violinists Carolyn Smith, left, and Emma Lee, right, play with the orchestra during the concert. Photo by Carly Heltzel.

According to Cheng, “90 percent of the cases caused by pediatric trauma could actually be prevented.” Because it claims the lives of so many children, Cheng “combined her two passions” and coordinated with performing arts staff to take action.

The concert, which started at 7 p.m., ran until around 8 p.m. It featured a dance performance, appearances from the orchestra and band, two songs performed by choir, and a final performance encompassing the entire school’s performing arts department.

Frehner said she had a great time at the event. As a dedicated Key Club member herself, she describes the concert as, “thoroughly thought out and well planned,” and “a great event for both its cause and for the performances.”