Math teacher Jim Forthoffer unexpectedly retires

Last week, longtime math teacher Jim Forthoffer unexpectedly retired mid-year, leaving the administration scrambling to find replacements. 

Jim Forthoffer retired mid-year and the full-time replacement teachers for his classes will begin on Monday Sept. 30.

“The situation is… less than ideal, but sometimes these things happen and we need to deal with it and try to move forward,” Principal David Grissom said.

Depending on the class, Grissom said that Forthoffer’s full time replacements for periods 0-5 are, in this order, Jenifer Lewis, Noelle Mendoza, Marcia Babiak, Christopher Chang, and Jim McGuirk, who will start on Monday, Sept. 30. 

$2475
$7800

$2475
$7800

• W

Wiser NowNov 11, 2023 at 6:01 am

1979 for me. I was vulnerable because of trouble at home, young, and stupid. Moved and changed high schools in the area and he still kept in touch. I realized later I was one of many. He knew who would be a good target.

• S

SNov 4, 2023 at 10:13 pm

If indeed his offense is sexual harassment then I can agree and hope he is punished. He was inappropriate with me at Lynbrook high in 1974. So it seems he’s been doing it for a long time. I should have said something back then but I was a 14 year old kid. I fell for all his attention.

• S

SNov 4, 2023 at 9:57 pm

I know now he was inappropriate with me as a freshman at Lynbrook high 1974/75. I always wondered what was right and what was wrong. I know now. I didn’t then.

• A

Almost a VictimDec 31, 2021 at 7:03 am

Agreed – inappropriate with minors including myself in the late 1980s at LAHS.

• V

VictimFeb 26, 2020 at 9:16 pm

Good. He’s a rapist