Girls tennis ends season with historic record

Varsity girls tennis won their league for the first time in eight years and kept an undefeated record for the first time in Mountain View’s history.

Overall, the team had a 12-2 record. After winning league, the team participated in CCS, where they beat Harker in the first round 4-3 and lost to Cupertino in the second round.

Photo courtesy of Alena Pruett. 

Senior and captain Alena Pruett, sophomore Dasha Terson, junior Elise Joshi, and freshman Stephanie Hsu play as  singles, with the rest of the team paired into doubles.

Pruett attributed their success to strong team chemistry and unity, saying the team focused on themselves as a whole rather than as individuals.

“This year, we were all super comfortable with each other,” Pruett said. “It was like a family.”

Although the team graduated five seniors, Pruett said the underclassmen were the team’s “saving grace.”

Photo courtesy of Alena Pruett. 

To reduce nerves, Pruett said the team looked at games as simply “a ball, a racket, a court, and an opponent.” When the team edged closer to the end of the league season, they worked hard to maintain their undefeated record by keeping it low pressure. After a loss, which did not occur during league, the team tried to focus on improving rather than feeling discouraged.

Pruett said their most memorable game was against Gunn when Joshi and the doubles line pulled out a close win, triumphing 5-2.

Next season, the team will be playing harder teams in the De Anza League, but they remain optimistic about their potential. They plan to move up from the El Camino, playing teams such as Saratoga, Los Gatos, and Los Altos.

“The players have been working hard all season and you can see so much improvement,” Pruett said. “I think it will be a big change, but I know they can handle it.”