Strengthening school spirit at the Battle of the Classes

Photo courtesy of the MVHS ASB Youtube channel.

The harder the Battle, the sweeter the victory. Tonight from 6:00 to 8:30 pm, Spartans will gather to find out who is the best class pairing of them all at the Battle of the Classes, led by ASB.

The event will start with an hour for food trucks, with Mexican and a Korean-Indian-Asian fusion options. Community members and parents are invited as well. As soon as it strikes seven, the Battle of the Classes (BOTC) starts.

Tickets will be available at the door for $10. The required T-shirts are $5 and will be available at the event.

Battle of the Classes is not a typical rally. It has something for everyone: trivia, strategy, dancing, and sports. Activities are both crowd-based, where there is one event going on on the floor and the spectators cheer, and team activities, where there are multiple events going on at the same time.

The sister classes, Freshmen with Juniors and Sophomores with Seniors, will work together to defeat the other pair. Whether introvert or extrovert, everyone can find something that they will enjoy, Kalea Vandeventer, one of the BOTC organizers, said.

“Make sure to find a way to fight for your class,” Vandeventer said. “It’s less about watching the performances, and more about being in the actual game.”

Make sure to find a way to fight for your class

Vandeventer said she expects an exciting evening and said she loved it when she went in previous years. She said that the environment was full of hype and that she enjoyed being able to see the classes cheering.

“It’s a great way for students to bond with their class, especially since the classes are so big.” Rietveld said.

It’s a great way for students to bond with their class, especially since the classes are so big

The purpose of the Battle of the Classes is to really increase school spirit and let the classes bond with each other, said Vandeventer.

“The Battle of the Classes will really bring people in and make the school more inclusive,” Vandeventer said.

The origin of the Battle of the Classes reflects that. When the attendance to the spring dance started declining rapidly, ASB felt that there should be something different to increase school spirit and inclusivity.

Jared Darby, ASB advisor at the time, said he remembered a type of activity similar to Battle of the Classes he had had at his high school, and, with a bit of adjustment, the Battle of the Classes at MVHS was born.