MVHS’s Got Talent!

Since quarantine has been implemented since March, the Freshman Cabinet has been organizing activities during this stressful time in order to create more bonding opportunities while students are separated. The cabinet has planned MVHS’s Got Talent, a virtual talent show for all students to participate in. 

The cabinet members are hoping to see a variety of talents including “skateboarding, soccer or basketball tricks, paintings, comedic acts, or any type of talent,” Toki Morimoto, the freshman class secretary and PR, said. 

Photos or videos under two minutes that showcase the student’s talent will be considered for a chance to win $50. The submission period has been open since May 8th and is open until the 22nd at 11:59 through Instagram direct messaging to their class’s account or through the Freshman cabinet website.  

After the auditions close, the voting session will initially take place on the individual Instagram accounts for each grade. All submissions within individual classes will be separated into four random brackets and will produce their favorite three acts to move to the next round of voting. The best submission out of the top three from the four brackets will compete and will end in the best submission in the entire grade. 

Finally, the top act from each grade will be rewarded with a $20 Amazon gift card and go head-to-head in the final round of voting on the spartythespartan Instagram account. The overall winner will receive an additional $30 for a total prize of a $50 Amazon gift card. 

Previously, the cabinet members have hosted “quarantine socials” through Zoom calls for activities like workout sessions, game nights, as well as easy tutorials for whipped coffee led by Soniya Chawla, Treasurer and Vice President for the freshman class.

Freshman class President Jason Zhang reports that, “Especially during this quarantine time, we want to make sure students are engaged and not just sitting at home doing nothing,” which was the main motive for organizing this show. 

Morimoto adds, “we also thought that having a talent show would be good to see what other people may be doing during this quarantine, so if they’re bored, they can try new things.” 

Find more virtual socials and sign up for the talent show at https://mvhsquarantine.github.io/index.html.