“Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon” review

Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon review

On Thursday, November 15, the MVHS Theatre presented “The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon,” by Don Zoldis. The play portrays a troupe of traveling actors that attempt to perform all 209 of the Brothers’ Grimm fairy tales as one giant story.

Throughout their lives, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm collected and published German folklore tales, and published their first collection of folk tales, Children’s and Household Tales, in 1812. “The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon,” however, provides many new twists and turns, and Zoldis modernizes and revamps these tales so the audience never knows what new surprise is around the corner.

The MVHS Drama Department’s upbeat, melodramatic and satirical production showed David Koppel and his crew in a new light.  While not as serious as some plays in the past have been, this production showcased their abilities in running fast paced scenes that captured the audiences’ attention.

Narrators senior Henri Boulanger and freshman Shubba Chakravarty spice things up from the very beginning. The production starts out with the stories of “The Dirt Merchant” and “Rumpelstiltskin” as a naive and foolish girl sells her soul for her immediate wellbeing and happiness.  We later find that she has to give up her daughter as the consequence. This initial story leads into more well-known tales such as “Rapunzel,”  ”Snow White,” and “Cinderella,” and later to lesser known tales such as “The Devil’s Grandmother” and “The Talking Fish”.

Light, witty, and upbeat, this play finds unique ways to drive home old time messages about society. There was always someone laughing at something that had just been said or acted out on stage.

Opening night was a blast, and I am glad I went. Congratulations to Mr. Koppel and his crew for a their first successful play of the year.